May 16, 2016
Quincy is more than a Jack Russell. Much like your own pets, he's a member of the family. Take some notes from Quincy on how to make sure the littlest members of your family are not put in harm's way when you clean house.
Harsh cleaning chemicals are not only dangerous for human health, but also for the health of pets. Many of us spend a large portion of every day inside the house (or in the office, if you are an office dog like me!). Maintaining a safe indoor air quality is crucial! Here are some tips on pet safe home cleaning:
- Avoid cleaners that contain harsh chemical ingredients such as ammonia, chlorine, glycol ethers, and formaldehyde. These can burn our mucus membranes and induce vomiting. They have been linked to conditions such as anemia, respiratory distress, and kidney damage.
- Humans have approximately 5 million scent glands, we dogs are estimated though, have 125 to 300 million. Consequently, scented cleaning products are much more intense for us. It can be so overwhelming that it can make us sick!
- We love to lick our paws and clean our faces with them, but this can be very dangerous if we have chemicals on our paws! When you are cleaning floors, keep your pets away until the floor is dry. This is especially important if you are using a chemical cleaner, but also a good practice when using natural cleaners. Natural cleaners don’t present the same dangers, but they still don’t belong on or in our or our pets bodies.
- We puppies love to drink out of that giant porcelain water bowl, also known as the toilet. To keep us from ingesting any toilet bowl cleaners, keep that lid closed!
- Keep the cleaning products secured and away from us! It is hard for humans to understand, but sometimes that bottle of glass cleaner looks delicious to us and we will chew it up if we have the chance.
- Accidents happen! Avoid both ammonia cleaners and bleach when cleaning up urine. The presence of ammonia can actually make us think that another dog has been there and encourage us to urinate in that spot again. In addition to presenting danger to your floor, when bleach mixes with the ammonia in urine, it gives off toxic fumes – and that’s unsafe for everyone, whether they have two legs or four.
- Use a gentle and fragrance-free laundry product on our bedding , toys, and clothing. The chemicals in many laundry detergents can irritate our skin. The smell can also make us sick, and it can cause internal damage if we eat our bedding.
- If you think we may have ingested a toxic substance, call your vet or Animal Poison Control (888-426-4435) IMMEDIATELY!